Attorneys who defend troll victims
- Ray Beckerman (New York NY)
- Dan Booth (BoothSweet LLP, Boston MA)
- Rob Cashman (Houston TX)
- Leslie A. Farber (Montclair NJ)
- Kubs Lalchandani (Lalchandani Simon, FL)
- Nicholas Ranallo (San Francisco CA)
- Maurice Ross (New York NY)
- Mark Santi (Minneapolis MN)
- John Santora (Lynbrook NY) (516) 509-2367
- Russell Smith (Peekskill NY)
- Jeffrey Antonelli (Chicago IL)
- Malibu Media (X-Art) claims it wants to catch the initial seeder: why this claim sounds shallow (9/19/2016)
- New York judge stayed subpoenas in all the Malibu Media NYED cases (10/6/2015)
- Is Verizon fed up with Lipscomb’s increasing arrogance? (10/1/2015)
- Yet another New York judge is not happy about Malibu Media’s predatory conduct (9/14/2015)
- Malibu Media shakedown cartel: the anatomy of harassment (9/3/2015)
- Feds accuse X-Art/Malibu Media’s attorney Jason Aaron Kotzker of a $7,000,000 payday loan fraud (8/25/2015)
- Citing previous Malibu Media’s sheer abuse of court process, New York judge denies early discovery (7/6/2015)
- Malibu Media’s new low: grossly overboard evidence preservation order (4/22/2015)
- The return of the Porn Troll: Malibu Media shakedown artists are back in New York (11/11/2014)
- Judge Baer sounds the alarm: “copyright locusts have descended on the federal courts” (9/23/2012)
- Judge Marrero: Pornography may not be entitled to copyright protection (8/13/2012)
- Jason Aaron Kotzker follows Evan Stone’s steps, disobeys court’s order regarding subpoenas (8/1/2012)
- Judge finds Randazza’s “negligence theory” unconvincing: motion to dismiss is granted, tugboat is sunken (7/11/2012)
- Mike Meier has an audacity to continue fishing in the Southern District of New York. Judge McMahon is not impressed (6/20/2012)
- The Domino Effect: Trolls are not welcome in the Southern District of New York anymore (5/16/2012)
- Adult Filmmakers get Legal Smackdown! (5/4/2012)
- New York judge blasts trolls’ practices, recommends banning mass bittorent lawsuits in the district (5/2/2012)
- Nicholas Ranallo offers inexpensive legal help to p2p defendants (9/19/2011)
- Why you shouldn’t heed an advice just because it was given by a licensed attorney (9/2/2011)
142 responses to ‘New York’
In Next Phase Distribution v. Does 1-27 (SDNY 12-cv-3755) Judge Marrero on 7-31 filed one of the longest and better Decision and Orders explaining to Troll Meier why he needs to pack up and leave. The Judge also seems to be appealing to other judges in his district to change their minds with a nice overview. He also ruminates at some length on the notion that obscene material may not be entitled to Copyright Act protection. Enjoy! http://ia601206.us.archive.org/0/items/gov.uscourts.nysd.396484/gov.uscourts.nysd.396484.10.0.pdf
On 8-21in a well reasoned and lengthy (19 page) Opinion and Order Judge Ramos severs all Does with the exception of Doe 1 from four of Troll Kotzker’s Malibu Media lawsuits (SDNY 12-cv-2949, 3810, 3818 and 3821), limits discovery and issues a protective order. http://ia601204.us.archive.org/26/items/gov.uscourts.nysd.396513/gov.uscourts.nysd.396513.5.0.pdf
I think limiting discovery and issuing a protective order is good news. Hopefully this will spread. However, after hearing about all the trolls harassing people at work they are obviously getting additional info somehow. Even if they only get the name and address, what is to stop them from running a credit report getting work and other history? If these places truly are using debt collectors, they have access to that in a second (I knew someone that worked at a law firm specializing in debt collection). Obviously, if they aren’t above harassing, extorting, etc. they aren’t above taking the basic info and running with it.
As John Steele puts it. You mess with the bull, you get the horns. Well, Kotzker messed with the bull, here come the horns (EDNY)
Barely newsworthy as NY is dead to trolls but on 8-21 in a consolidated Malibu Media action (SDNY 12-cv-3810) Judge Ramos severed all Does from four of Troll Meier’s lawsuits leaving behind the Does 1s. Judge Ramos rejects troll swarm joinder theory finding that the 6 week life of the swarm makes this rejection self evident and that joinder will not promote judicial economy. http://beckermanlegal.com/Lawyer_Copyright_Internet_Law/malibumedia_does1-10_120821OrderSevering.pdf I have not followed up but it would be interesting to see what became of the Doe 1s as Meier rarely pursues them and “discovers” that they are outside of the court’s jurisdiction because he is a mealy mouthed scumbag.
Fun fact – Troll Meier moved for expedited discovery back in April so this Opinion and Order is a belated April Fool’s Joke on the carpetbagging troll.
Incredibly after getting bitch slapped by Judge Brown, Troll Kotzker continues to go after Doe 1 (EDNY 12-cv-1154) in his court. http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuits/copyright-lawsuits/new-york-eastern-district-court/91607/patrick-collins-inc-v-john-does-1-9/summary/ Doe 1 wisely retains Michael Scotto an attorney all too familiar with racketeering http://www.msek.com/news-article/michael-a-scotto-appointed-of-counsel-in-meyer-suozzi-english-klein-criminal-defense-group.php Do you think Doe 1 might interpose a RICO counterclaim?
God I hope a RICO counter-claim is brewing. Kotzker is insane (as defined by Einstein). I can’t believe he’s going forward with this, and now he’s going after someone who’s represented by an attorney who used to go after organized crime families for a living. Brilliant! He’s getting pounded by a pro se in Colorado, and about to get pounded by some heavy artillery in EDNY.
Read his declaration, it’s like a cross between a middle finger and an ass kissing. I can’t believe Brown didn’t see right through this and sanction his ass, or maybe he’s just biding his time. Here’s the declaration…
Click to access gov.uscourts.nyed.328096.16.0.pdf
Cablevision backed down in EDNY and is complying with Kotzker’s subpoenas. No idea why they had to retain Ken Dreifach just to say “oops, sorry, here ya go.”
Click to access gov.uscourts.nyed.328090.16.0.pdf
Kotzker’s letter to the judge saying he and Dreifach have reached a mutual agreement *gag* *vomit*…
Click to access gov.uscourts.nyed.328090.17.0.pdf
I am not convinced that NY is completely “dead”. Copyright litigation may have failed in some cases in SDNY, bu there are other districts largely yet untested, like NDNY, and things are Kotzker is moving along in EDNY.
“Uh-oh! Look what daddy did!”
Fantalis might what to read this one.
Well, it looks like Third Degree Films is continuing to go after people in New York. Plaintiff counsel is not listed. But the old lawyer for it was Mike Meier. It looks like an old case or something that was been transferred to a different district.