Monkey trap (plural monkey traps)
- (literally, probably folk-lore) A cage containing a banana with a hole large enough for a monkey’s hand to fit in, but not large enough for a monkey’s fist (clutching a banana) to come out. Used to “catch” monkeys that lack the intellect to let go of the banana and run away.
- (figuratively) A clever trap of any sort, that owes its success to the ineptitude or gullibility of the victim.
Copyright trolls hate light and try to avoid publicity, so that they could continue their shady shake-down business. They are not too stupid and do understand that earlier or later their scam will be brought to light and their little extortion enterprises will melt as a result. That’s what is happening with ACS: Law in Great Britain right now, but not in the US yet.
So, rationally thinking, the lower they lay, the longer the ransom cash will flow. So why do they allow obviously wrong cases to continue? These cases get publicity and draw attention that clearly harm their “business” model. For example:
- Righthaven: sued a mildly autistic blogger and a war veteran
- IO Group cases: about 10% of victims tried to obtain something completely different from what was alleged (mislabeled files)
- Steele: a 70 year-old grandmother was accused of downloading porn
I can go on and on, but you can google these stories, there are lots of them.
What is striking is that in every such case trolls continue to press charges instead of letting clearly innocent people go. These extreme cases are usually related to just a small percentage of their victims, and letting these victims go wouldn’t seriously undermine their extortion revenue, and at the same time they would avoid harmful publicity and general public’s mounting rage.
The answer is simple: greed. Like in monkey trap cases, they just can’t let a banana go to save themselves from being caught. Unlike monkeys, they understand the situation, but obviously greed dominates common sense inside their hard sculls.
Greed destroyed Andrew Crossley in UK, greed will eventually destroy the US copyright trolls.
So, continue holding your banana, Troll, someone is already on the way with a nice cage!