We have been waiting for this moment for a long time. Congratulations to everyone involved, especially Morgan and Nick.
- TechDirt: Judge Wright Tells Team Prenda To Pay $80k, Refers Their Activity To State Bars, Feds & IRS by Mike Masnick.
- Wired: Judge Asks IRS, Feds to Investigate Copyright-Trolling Attorneys by David Kravets.
- Popehat: Does Prenda Believe In No-Win Scenarios? Because Judge Wright Just Gave Them One by Ken White.
- ArsTechnica: Prenda hammered: Judge sends porn-trolling lawyers to criminal investigators by Joe Mullin.
- TorrentLawyer (Rob Cashman) has reblogged this post adding some interesting thoughts.
- DieTrollDie: Judge Wright Fires One Hell Of A Photon Torpedo at Prenda Law — 2:12-cv-08333 (CA).
- StarTribune (MN): California judge slams Minneapolis attorneys in copyright trolling cases by Dan Browning.
- Los Angeles Times: Judge fines firm for improperly enforcing porn copyrights by Stuart Pfeifer.
- TorrentFreak: Federal Judge Fires Phasers, Photons at Prenda for $80k Damages by Ben Jones.
- Madison-St. Claire Record: Wrath of Wright: Federal judge applies ‘Star Trek’ theme in sanctioning copyright lawyers by Ann Maher.
- The Register (UK): Judge hands copyright troll an epic smack-down By Richard Chirgwin.
- Gizmodo: Judge Unleashes Star Trek Assault on Prenda Porn Troll After “Blatant Lie” by Gary Cutlack.
- Slashdot: Judge Refers Prenda Copyright Trolls To Criminal Investigators.
- BoingBoing: Prenda law judge says porno copyright trolls are frauds, identity thieves; $80K in fines and disbarment pending by Cory Doctorow.
- Salon: Bad day to be a porn lawyer by Andrew Leonard.
- XBiz: Sanctions Ordered Against Porn Piracy Litigants by Rhett Pardon.
Steele on Tuesday told XBIZ that he plans on appealing Wright’s order with the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
“Obviously we don’t agree on the ruling,” Steele said. “Judge Wright based his order on an eight-minute hearing where there was no testimony, no evidence introduced. Clearly Judge Wright does not like this type of litigation and he’s no fan of intellectual property law.”
- Above the Law blog: Prenda Boldly Benchslapped Where No One Has Gone Before by Joe Patrice.
- The unofficial Otis D. Wright, II Statue Fundraiser on indiegogo.
- TechDirt: John Steele Plans To Appeal Judge Wright’s Order; Says Judge Is ‘No Fan Of IP Law’ by Mike Masnick.
- The National Law Journal: Judge Lashes Out at ‘Fraud’ in Porn Infringement Claims by Amanda Bronstad.
- The Guardian: The best judicial ruling you will ever read (Trust us, just read it) by Adam Gabbatt.
- ArsTechnica: Why weren’t the Prenda porn trolls stopped years ago? by Nate Anderson.
- Courthouse News Service: Judge Refers ‘Porno-Trolling’ Law Firm to Feds by Matt Reynolds.
- EFF Deeplinks blog: Prenda Law Is The Tip of the Iceberg by Mitch Stoltz.
- ArsTechnica: Prenda lawyer downplays devastating order, promises appeal by Joe Mullin.
- Business Insider: Judge Slams ‘Troll’ Lawsuit Against Illegal Porn Downloaders by Erin Fuchs.
- Forbes: Sanctions May Be Least Of ‘Copyright Troll’ Worries As Matter Is Referred To Feds, IRS by Kelly Phillips Erb.
- Techdirt: John Steele, Silent In Court, Keeps Talking To The Press; Says New Lawsuits Are Being Filed by Mike Masnick.
- ABC: Judge Slaps Attorneys For Alleged Porn Shakedown by Alan Farnham.
- TechDirt: Why Prenda Has Been Able To Proceed For Years: The Whole Setup Was Too Brazen by Mike Masnick.
Prenda appealed. Almost exactly two years later US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit heard oral arguments. And it didn’t went well (to put it charitably) for Prenda and its principals.